Intracoastal Cassie

Intracoastal Cassie
Cruising Wonderdog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 11 - 12 - Fernandina Beach

We had a nice couple days in Fernandina Beach. Fernandina Beach is separated by Georgia by the ICW inlet so it feels a little more Southern than our other stops in Florida. There are some impressive old buildings in the downtown - like the postoffice shown below.



Other street scenes I liked, was the Fernandina Fantastic Fudge and Ice Cream shop (always people lined up inside) and The Florida House (still hedging their bets with their flags)


For a small tourist town, Fernandina has a fair bit going on....free street concert on Friday night and super Farmer's Market on Saturday. The peaches were amazing from the market but the homemade tamales were the winner.


But, the most amazing thing about Fernandina Beach is the quality of the restaurants. They are not super fancy but every meal we had was amazing. I don't mean to bore you with the details but this blog is for my memory too so here are the food highlights.....Great Mexican at Pablos; French bistro dinner at Le Clos - homemade pate (picture of Le Clos);
very earthy and fresh meal at 29South (they boast their own Chef's Garden in back of restaurant; and soft-shelled crab and Mama's home-made bread & butter pickles at Kelley's. It was my first experience trying soft-shelled crab (off Bob's plate)....I didn't think I would like it but it was really good. Anthony Bourdain would be so proud of me!

Lastly, a few pics from the Fernandina Beach Marina - Bob tries to convince Cass and me that the Capt is always right (didn't work) and sunset.
Tomorrow, we head out to the Atlantic to make a straight shot up to Thunderbolt, GA. Thunderbolt is just 5 miles south of Savannah and on the ICW. We will stay there one night and then at an Inn for two nights in downtown Savannah-yeah! Hushpuppies and Lowcountry boils here we come!

2 comments:

  1. Trying to post. This is a test

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay a success. So I left you a message on your phone as I was having trouble posting. So it looks like you are having a great adventure. The pictures are great and it really helps us get a feel of your ICW adventure. We are heading up to the Essex house Thur late morning I am going for a facial and a haircut. Yes I rock.
    Rod had to go to the dentist. Needs implants. I think he should just go for the dentures at this point. Holy cow. Furniture delivery coming Friday and then I a, not going to do much more to LIsa comes back to work somewhere around the middle of June. Well you stay safe. Hugs to all. Diame

    ReplyDelete